3 Chef-Approved Summer Tomato Salsa Recipes
Have you recently come upon some Big Mama, Roma, or Viva Italia? Did you pick some ripe Little Mamas from your garden out in the backyard?
What the heck are we even talking about here?
Well, if you’re a tomato lover, you’ll know we’re talking about some of the best types of tomatoes for making fresh tomato salsa: Paste tomatoes. Paste tomatoes are meaty and flavorful with few seeds and little juice, making them (among others) the perfect options for the following tomato salsa recipes.
So, without further ado, round up some of your best tomatoes and check out the following recipes. Enjoy them with crispy tortilla chips and your favorite margarita!
1. Spicy Habanero Salsa
The following fresh tomato salsa recipe is a spicy one that serves from 6-8 people. One expert tip is to taste as you go, adding peppers on an as-needed basis. Too much heat could ruin the flavor!
Gather the ingredients:
- About 28 ounces of fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 jalapenos, chopped (again, taste as you go)
- 1-2 habaneros, cut (same with these)
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. If you’ve time, let it sit in the fridge for an hour before serving, allowing the flavors to meld together.
2. Tomato-Mango Salsa
Not a fan of the spicier salsas? No worries—this next salsa is for you, boasting a minimal and balanced sweetness. This recipe serves about 4 people, producing three to four cups.
Gather the ingredients:
- 6 diced plum tomatoes (or another variety of your choice)
- 1 peeled and diced mango
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 seeded and diced serrano chile (omit if you’d like)
- 1 minced glove of garlic
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
The same rules apply here: Make the salsa about an hour before serving and let it chill in the fridge. This salsa can also get made up to two days in advance and stored in an airtight container.
3. Traditional Yet Delicious Pico de Gallo
Don’t worry, lovers of the classics, we’ve got something for everyone.
This timeless tomato salsa is chunky and flavorful, and you can add and subtract any ingredients you’d like, and it’ll always be amazing. This recipe serves about 6-8 people.
For a fresh pico de gallo, gather the following:
- 3 tablespoons of chopped onions (red or white)
- 2 minced cloves of garlic
- 3 large tomatoes of your choice, seeded and diced
- 2 chopped jalapeno or serrano peppers (or one of each!)
- 3 tablespoons of chopped cilantro (sub parsley if you’re not a fan of cilantro)
- 1½ tablespoons of lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
This classic recipe is fantastic on its own as a dip, but it’s also an excellent topping for tacos or burritos. Put it in the middle of the kitchen table and do as you wish!
Try These Tomato Salsa Recipes for Dinner Tonight
If you can’t decide between these three, make a mixed platter and try them all. You’ll satisfy a variety of tastebuds whether with the sweet touch of the mango salsa, the kickin’ heat of the habanero, or by keeping it classic with the chunky pico de gallo. You can even get creative and make your tomato salsa recipes—the options for salsas are endless.
Or, let us make the salsa for you.
Click here to check out our many locations in Utah, or order online to enjoy our fantastic food in the comforts of home.